Sunday, May 23, 2010

Day 6: Rehovot with the Bride and Groom


The reason we have come to Israel is to attend Josh and Diana’s wedding and today we will journey to Rehovot where Diana is a graduate student studying atmospheric physics and Josh is teaching English (he is finishing a PhD in Creative Writing at UCLA). Once again I discover that the truism that “everyone speaks English” is a bit of an exaggeration. On the way from our Bed and Breakfast in Maskaret Batya to Rehovot we stop at a gas station. A young Israeli woman fills up our car, but it is unclear whether she is telling me that I need a bath or that we get a free carwash. I decline both suggestions. Rehovot is a bustling city with a large Russian population and from what I understand a significant fraction of them not only don’t speak English, but also don’t speak Hebrew either.
We have a pleasant afternoon hanging out with the newlyweds-to-be. Josh makes dinner while Roz goes with Diana for a fitting of the wedding dress. But now the tension rises. The tailor has apparently made a mistake in his earlier alterations of the dress and Diana can either breathe or wear the dress, but not do both at the same time.  I am tempted to tell her that no wedding is complete without a crisis, but I restrain myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment